Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013: Change for the Better

               2013 was a year of change for me, especially in my reading life. I usually tend to go towards fantasy and science fiction books, but this year, I've been noticing some of the other amazing genres out there like realistic fiction and historical fiction. I've been reading books like Wonder by R.J. Palacio, The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler, and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Even though I'm trying out new things, I still love sci-fi and fantasy. Allegiant by Veronica Roth was an unexpected ending for the Divergent series, in my opinion, but I still loved it! As I change as a reader, it gets harder and harder to choose which book is my favorite of the whole year, so I think writing about the top three might be easier.


               Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is an amazing book about the Holocaust and this girl named Annemarie who protects her best friend, Ellen, who is a Jew. I read this book in the beginning of 2013 and it opened my eyes to historical fiction. Years before I read this book, I read one historical fiction book that seemed more about the facts of that time period instead of the characters and the story. That book really pushed me away from historical fiction, but after hearing so many great remarks about it, I had to read it and I am SO glad I did! It really taught me that feeling scared doesn't mean that someone isn't strong and brave. Perseverance, no matter how unsafe the situation is, is what truly shows bravery and strength.

             
               Wonder by R.J. Palacio is an excellent realistic fiction book about a boy named August who has a facial deformity. Throughout the book, not only August is affected by his facial deformity, but the people around him are affected as well. This book made me think about my life. It made me think about how the way I act to others can affect their life and the lives of the people around them. I don't want to be a bully like the character Julian who could only see August's face, not his personality. What makes this book unique and perfect for any age is the fact that it teaches that judging a book by its cover doesn't affect one person. By showing the perspectives of August's sister and friends, Wonder really showed what bullying can do.

               The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler is a book I read in the summer of 2013. It's about two former best friends, Emma and Josh, who discover Facebook 15 years before it was made. They get to see their lives 15 years in the future, but they change what they see on their profile page by doing things differently in the present. I love this book because of how the two different perspectives of Emma and Josh teach me two important lessons; to be in the present and to make my own future. Worrying about the future won't help in the present. The Future of Us is what really got me into realistic fiction in 2013, so I highly recommend it!


               In conclusion, I'm glad to have changed the kinds of books I read in 2013. Without that change, I couldn't have learned the many lessons I've learned over the past year. I am going to continue to read realistic and historical fiction, but also try to read other genres that I haven't really dived into. Nonfiction is probably going to be my next genre! The change in 2013 has really affected my reading plans for 2014 for the better!
                                  
                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment